Monday, July 8, 2013

At the starting line....again

I feel I have to begin with a disclaimer. While I've wanted to start a blog for quite a while, I never quite figured out exactly what I wanted to share. Like most women, I love to discuss any number of topics.....but in this world of instant news, combined with my inherent ADD like qualities, I could never pinpoint just what would be both interesting to me and to any audience "demographic". Today, as I come off a short holiday to NYC with my husband, daughter and son-in-law, my thoughts are back to the sort of, "hmm, what shall I do with the rest of my summer?" I began today with a slow start, coffee, biscotti, email and the Today show. By the time I decided I needed to kick start my day, it was approaching 85 outside. My resolve to work out by running began to dissolve. I have never been an athlete.Only in my thirties did I begin to attempt a regular exercise routine. The infancy of my routine consisted of pushing a stroller or walking the dog. Running was my eternal nemesis. I never worked up to more than 25 minutes of jogging. Last summer I managed almost three months of insanity, in which I continually repeated the first months DVDs. While it did produce results, it wasn't something I wanted to maintain. My only reason for doing it was to lose a few inches for my daughter's wedding. I chose Insanity because I could work out in the summer,in the basement,with a huge fan blasting,instead of trying to work out in the hot and humid outdoors. Now I've returned again to running, but I have to admit, the heat and humidity are making it tough. Did I mention I'll be turning 60 in August? My husband says it's only a number (he's much younger, so I tend to dismiss his philosophy on aging). I know there are many out there much older than I am who manage to have a decent running routine. I'd love to hear from more of those people and learn from them. I was biking for about two years, and could never break the 14mile barrier. I say that as if there is such a phenomenon. It probably only exists in my head. So, as I am perched here on the first day of a blog, I am still in my running attire, trying to recover from thirty minutes of walk/running, of which only 3/10ths was running! I know it's a start, but prior to a bout with what my Dr. said was probably pneumonia in early June, I was at an almost 1:1 ratio of walking:running. I'm not disheartened, its just that I never seem to develop any great fondness for running. I just want to become more fit. I'm also doing weights and or yoga on off days. All are a challenge and that's as it should be, right? Now on to one of my other summer projects, a diy attempt to refinish an oak Windsor style dining room set. I need all the advice I can summon about how to refinish it to look somewhat distressed and to have a darker stain. I think I've got a plan, but for now its sand, sand, and sand some more! Hope your summer plans are working out and that you're enjoying the lazy, hazy days!! Susan

2 comments:

  1. My knees protest too much when I run. So I walk -- gives the same benefit as running, just takes a LOT longer! Have you tried cycling? You create a nice breeze that really cools you off. Well sorta. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitchen Riffs,
      I missed your comment on my very old blog entry. I love your blog! I abandoned running. Tried biking again, couldn't get over the 14mph and it'd take me hours to bike with the bike club we were in....I have my bike in the basement on a trainer now. I just started doing HIIT on the bike and elliptical. It totally exhausts me!! We'll see how that develops....

      Delete